While Paris tended to concentrate on small cars, the area round Lyons was always better known for fast, expensive, beautifully-made machines. In this, the Cottin-Desgouttes was a typical product of its region. Originally known simply as Desgouttes, the 24/40hp which made its bow at the 1905 Paris Salon was on the popular Mercedes lines, with four cylinders, mechanical inlet valves, pressed-steel chassis, gate gear-change and honeycomb radiator. By 1908, two sixes had been added to the range. Conventional design was the rule until 1923, when the 12CV arrived. This car had three overhead valves per cylinder and was sold in several bore dimensions. The 3-litre, a fast tourer of typical French panache, was the best known. It achieved fame in touring-car races, and a production model, the GP, was offered for sale. A six of the same bore and stroke was listed. In 1927 Cottin et Desgouttes departed further from the norm with their Sans Secousse version of the 12CV, which had independent suspension of all wheels by transverse springs, inboard rear brakes and steering arms to each front wheel. By 1930, all Cottins were sixes and all had independent suspension. Production ended in 1931, but cars assembled from stock were available up to 1933.
1911 COTTIN-DESGOUTTES, 40 hp tourer. Bernard Sanders
1920 COTTIN-DESGOUTTES, 14CV tourer. Automobielmuseum, Driebergen.
1927 COTTIN-DESGOUTTES Sans Secousses, 12CV saloon. Lucien Loreille Collection.
from "The complete encyclopedia of motorcars, 1885 to the present" by Nick Georgano